Apply now for the ELLS LearningLAB in Athens – 25-26 April 2015!
The European Learning Laboratory for the Life Sciences (ELLS), in collaboration with the Institute of Biosciences & Applications at the National Center for Scientific Research “Demokritos” and the Directorate of Secondary Education of Piraeus, invites Greek-speaking secondary school science teachers to apply for the ELLS LearningLAB “Learning from life – exploring new ways of teaching modern biology”(“Μαθαίνοντας από τη ζωή – Ανακαλύπτουμε νέους τρόπους διδασκαλίας της σύγχρονης Βιολογίας”).
The 2-day professional training course for Greek-speaking secondary school science teachers will offer an introduction to selected DNA technologies and provide opportunities to explore how these can be transferred to and used in the classroom.
The course will consist of a mix of seminars by practising scientists, hands-on activities and visits to state-of-the-art research facilities at the National Center for Scientific Research “Demokritos”. The programme will cover a range of scientific topics and highlight established DNA-based technologies that are regularly used in molecular biology laboratories and that can be employed in the biology classroom to illustrate concepts found on modern school biology curricula.
During the 2-day course, a combination of seminars, discussions, hands-on activities and visits will:
- Introduce you to selected laboratory techniques like polymerase chain reaction (PCR), agarose gel electrophoresis and others to demonstrate how they can be used in a school laboratory;
- Update your knowledge on current biological research and offer plenty of opportunities to interact with research scientists;
- Illustrate a range of classroom activities and experiments, and equip you to use the presented resources to support your teaching of biology;
- Include visits to research facilities at the Institute of Biosciences & Applications which is located on the campus of the National Center for Scientific Research “Demokritos”;
- Give you the opportunity to develop your own scientific teaching resources and make them available to your students;
- Allow you to network and share your experiences with teacher colleagues.
Please find further information about the LearningLAB, the course programme and how to register on the dedicated course application page (in Greek and English).
Application deadline: 16 March 2015 – – early registrations are welcome and are more likely to be successful.
Please feel free to pass this information on to any teacher colleagues who might be interested, including pre-service teachers.